SPECIFIC DUTIES OF ROLE:
The Business Development Lead will hold the primary responsibility for identifying, evaluating and negotiating licensing opportunities for Mundipharma and will be assigned a therapeutic area of focus based on prior experience and existing networks. The remit will be truly international.
Given the evident strategic and operational significance, principal responsibilities associated with the role will include the following
- Develop and maintain an active network with external business developers.
- Act as ‘product champion’ for business development opportunities whilst proactively screening the international market to identify new opportunities for Mundipharma.
- Manage and evaluate new business development opportunities with particular emphasis on evaluating potential Licensing opportunities to meet Mundipharma’s strategic needs.
- Develop the business case with a thorough understanding of the commercial and scientific basis of the opportunity and drive and manage the internal and external evaluation process.
- Obtain medical, scientific and technical input from colleagues in MINT, other Associates, and where appropriate external advisers/consultants to support the evaluation of new opportunities.
- Provide relevant business recommendations based on a complete and well documented understanding of the underlying products, the market in which the opportunity would compete, the opinions of both internal and external scientific experts, and the projected financial return.
- Negotiate the commercial terms of the contract and thus bring deals to fruition.
- Remain always current and alert on pharmaceutical industry changes (activities likely to include monitoring trade journals and press releases, networking with investment banks, venture capital firms and companies, and attending conferences to learn about and monitor new business development opportunities).
- Present opportunities to the Board of Directors for approval.
- Degree qualified, ideally with additional professional qualification such as a Masters, PHD or an MBA.
- Extensive prior product licensing experience from the pharmaceutical, biotech (or related) industry within an international business setting.
- Successful track record in licensing, acquisitions and/or other commercial arrangements.
- Evident expertise in sourcing a variety of high quality molecules, projects, collaborations and deals.
- A flexible, entrepreneurial and ‘can-do’ attitude – this individual needs to be comfortable operating within a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrable relationship building and alliance management experience.
- Familiarity of deal terms and evidence of creativity in deal structuring.
- Proven ability to drive and sponsor projects and to achieve necessary internal consensus.
- High levels of financial literacy and so able to read and interpret P&Ls and Balance Sheets – experience of creating and developing financial spread-sheets and project plans preferred.
- Broad scientific knowledge and credibility and so with the ability to source opportunities in support of Mundipharma’s commercial objectives.
- Established network in the pharmaceutical industry with an ability to establish and maintain enduring professional relationships with internal and external customers.
- Track record of successfully managing across functional areas within an international environment and so working collaboratively to produce optimal results.
- Fluent English speaker, additional language skills would be an advantage.
- History of successful goal attainment.
- Experience of working with Investments banks on M&A.
- Self-starting mind set together with a proactive and highly motivational personal style.
- Solutions orientation with a high degree of business acumen and proven application of judgment.
- Ability to prioritise and effectively handle multiple assignments/projects concurrently.
- Strong influencing aptitude and thus able to motivate others to action even without direct accountability.
- Evident social competence and cultural sensitivity and thus with the ability to operate effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong presentation competencies that enable effective communication at all levels.
- Very strong intellectual capabilities underpinned by keen analytical acuity.
- Proven track record in leading cross-functional teams and comfortable working effectively in a complex yet highly collaborative environment.
- Evident leadership qualities with clear ability to motivate and gain the extra mile from those reporting in – effective in engendering a collegiate work environment within which collaboration/consensus are key.
- Track record demonstrating conviction that people are a key asset – able to exemplify teamwork and implement it within the Mundipharma team.
- Creative and innovative in approach: someone with imagination, who brings perspective gained from other world-class organisations.